Just released! The conference schedule for this year’s Features Journalism conference in Austin, Texas is now available. Join-us for three days of learning, networking, and fun. See the full conference schedule now.
And, don’t wait to register! Join features journalists, writers, and editors at the University of Texas at Austin on August 10-13th. Click here to register online.
The Society for Features Journalism heads to Austin, Texas next year! You won’t want to miss three days of sessions filled with practical advice, great ideas for coverage and ways to keep adapting in the digital world.
The conference runs Aug. 10-13 and will draw on the faculty and facilities of the University of Texas at Austin’s renowned journalism school. Plan on meeting the top features editors and reporters from around the country!
And, why wait? You can make your hotel reservations now, with a reduced room rate of $179 at the AT&T Executive Education and Conference Center at the University of Texas at Austin. To reserve now, call 877-744-8822 and request “Society for Features Journalism Annual Meeting.”
Austin is one of the country’s hippest, most creative cities and reduced room rates are available Aug. 9-14 in case you want to plan a family vacation or travel story around your trip.
Conference registration is $250 for SFJ members who make the early bird deadline of July 8.
Non-members pay $350, as do members who register right before the conference. Follow this link to register.
Questions? Contact SFJ today!
SFJ’s annual Show and Steal compilation — always a big hit at our conference — now is available for you to, well, you know what to do.
Click below to see the photo galleries of our members’ best efforts, and share ideas of your own.
Join us for SFJ’s annual conference Aug. 26-29 at the University of Maryland for an array of sessions that will be filled with practical, usable information you can bring back to your newsroom.
The conference kicks off with an opening reception on the evening of Wednesday, Aug. 26. SFJ members get a discounted rate for the conference.
Conference sessions include:
– A Q&A with Washington Post Editor Marty Baron, whose newspaper was named the best in the business for digital innovation.
– Success stories on moneymakers in today’s newsrooms, ranging from newsletters to special events.
– Inspiration from a two-time Pulitzer Prize winner in feature writing, Gene Weingarten of the Washington Post, and his editor Tom Schroder who has a reputation for bring out the best in his writers.
– A panel discussion on the new ways publications have transitioned to “digital first” and how journalists who grew up on the print side are thriving and leading the revolution.
– A simple hands-on video how-to that will give you skills to use immediately after the conference.
– Tips on digital tools that are fun and easy to use for cool projects.
– The ever-popular Show and Steal sessions, which feature great ideas from newsrooms around the country.
– An awards ceremony to honor the winners of the Excellence in Features Journalism contest
Hotel stays can be arranged at the College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference center on the University of Maryland campus. Conference sessions will be in the Knight Hall in the Philip Merrill College of Journalism in College Park, just a short walk from the Marriott. We’ve arranged for a block of rooms at the Marriott with a rate of $149/night for a king or $159/night for two queens (an affordable option for attendees who want to share a room and share the cost).
Here are the best “looked like we planned it this way” ideas for print and online, as presented at SFJ14 conference in Nashville.
Download the PDFs by clicking Saved the Day